Sunday, July 8, 2012

Public Schools

After debating my final topic these past few weeks I have finally decided on public schools.  As I previously discussed, I have gone through the public school system all my life and I truly believe that it has had a significant impact on my life.  In my opinion, public schools can be just as effective and educational as private schools, and under much less fortunate circumstances. 


Throughout our history, our government has strived to promote and improve America's public schools.  They have passed laws and changed legislation in order to create equal and better opportunities for our country's children and students.  Although I will admit that I am not exactly 100% familiar with these exact laws I know that some of them may not always be as effective as planned or hoped.  In my opinion the implementation of standardized tests may be one of those situations.  I believe that these tests have put a great deal of strain and stress on teachers and have placed concentration on exam skills rather than overall long-time learning. Through my research paper I would like to learn more about these laws and incorporate them with my topic.  Therefore I have found that chapter 15 will help me a great deal, and encourage me to look up other useful materials.


In my previous experience in the public school system I have came across many teachers that have guided me to where I am today.  I will never forget these teachers, and will always remember the significant impact they had on both my life and my decision to become an educator.  I want to take what these teachers gave me, and incorporate it into my own classroom.  They are living proof that the public system can and will work.  They did not only teach me about academics, but they also taught me great life skills that I will use for the rest of my life.  They taught my to love and cherish education.  The other day in class, we discussed the notion that "education is power".  I 100% believe this, and I want to spread this thought in teachings.  I want my students to love to learn, and to take their knowledge into the real world and succeed in anything they set their minds too.

No comments:

Post a Comment