Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Writing Circle Blog 1

An interesting topic that our group discussed today was about the fear of being different and of being judged.  We have also mentioned this in class and I feel that this is very relevant issue in this class.  This class is based around class discussion and our peers really do seem to be accepting of everyone and their opinions.  This makes it much more easier to speak in class and much more easier to express our own views and experiences.  Unlike, when we were in high school or in our younger years when we all agreed were slightly different.  We are more expected to be more like everyone else and agree with the majority.  


This then led to another important topic that we discussed in our groups today.  We talked about what is distinguished as right or wrong?  Who is to say exactly what is correct and what is incorrect?  And is there a definite answer?  In education there seems to be that way of thinking and I personally do not particularly agree with it.  I believe that in the profession of teaching, every child/student is unique and different in their own way and as educators we should accept and promote these differences.  As we discussed in class a few days ago, students should be free to express themselves in their own way and to be an individual.  Although, at the end of the day there should always be a line and as educators we should know and respect that line.  After reading Part 1 in Educational Foundations, this made me think of exactly why I want to become an educator.  I want my students to feel free to express both their feelings and thoughts.  I want to teach them about opening up their minds and hearts to education and learning.  I strive to make this both fun and engaging, so hopefully I can give them so much more than just memorizing facts and events.

No comments:

Post a Comment